Award-winning children’s picture book author and illustrator David Milgrim has a secret identity, Ann Droyd. But, ssssh, don’t tell anyone! In addition to his children’s books, David Milgrim wrote Siri & Me: A Modern Love Story. Ann Droyd has written a delightful bestselling parody, Goodnight iPad, and has just published a new tech parody, If You Give a Mouse an iPhone: A Cautionary Tale.
This is a very different book from the ones we normally review but I couldn’t resist when I saw it, being a bit of a techno addict myself. To make it even better, the publisher has provided us with a copy to use in a giveaway! We’re featuring it early enough that it can be shipped to the winner and wrapped up as a holiday gift for their favorite tech addict, young parent, or anyone of any age who might enjoy this ironic tale.
Now normally this would be the place in the review where we give you a synopsis of the novel, being as careful as possible not to provide spoilers. Well, that’s all out the window with this picture book. Spoilers be damned! The best way to tell you about this story is to show you, and the video below does that beautifully.
See what I mean? Is this cool or what?! It not only makes a quite valid point about our obsessive relationship with tech vs. the world around us but it does it in such a fun way that no one could be offended. I can think of tons of people I know who’d love to get this as a gift, so I couldn’t resist sharing it with you.
I recommend If You Give a Mouse an iPhone for anyone you know who always has their ear glued to their iPhone, their nose pressed up against their tablet, laptop, or smart phone playing games, or who uses tech devices as babysitters for their kids. I’ve definitely been guilty of showing fidgety kids games on my iPhone to keep them quiet in doctor’s offices…and they weren’t even my kids. Gulp! It’s a good reminder that there’s a phenomenal world out there beyond those devices that “keep us connected,” a reminder we could all use from time to time. It certainly made me think, said the woman who practically lives on her laptop and iPhone.
Can’t wait to read it or give it as a gift?
If You Give a Mouse an iPhone was published on October 21, 2014, so it’s available from your favorite online bookseller. Just click on the button/link below (or in the right column for iBooks) and get it for yourself or as a fun gift for parents of little ones.
I’d love to get your comments on If You Give a Mouse an iPhone, Ann Droyd, David Milgrim, her/his other work, and/or this review.
If you like this review, please contribute to our Reviewers’ Caffeine Fund in the left column. Just a cup a day, that’s all we ask.
One lucky reader will win a finished hardcover copy of If You Give a Mouse an iPhone by Ann Droyd!
1) The deadline for entries is Saturday night, 11/22/2014, at 11:59pm EDST. No entries after that date/time will be eligible.
2) This giveaway is open to entries with U.S. mailing addresses only because we do not ship books outside of the U.S.
3) You must be at least 15 years old to enter this giveaway.
4) You must use the Rafflecopter form. Even if leaving a comment is part of the giveaway, you must use the form in addition to leaving the comment for the comment to count as an entry.
5) If you already follow PopcornReads on Twitter or Linky, you must still complete that part of the Rafflecopter form for your follow to count as an entry.
6) If you do not provide a complete mailing address in the Rafflecopter form, your entry will not be eligible. We will use your mailing address to ship your book to you. Please allow 2-3 weeks for book delivery.
7) That’s it – it’s a very easy giveaway, so have fun and best of luck!